Wednesday 23 July 2014

Hee-EE...It's me...Complaining about Orange spam...

EE Customer Services
6 Camberwell Way
Sunderland
Tyne and Wear
SR3 3XN

22/07/2014


Dear all,

As a very loyal Orange customer for many years, it is with great regret that I am writing to complain about the appalling service I am currently experiencing.

I am aware that your company has had an issue which has led to a large number of Magic Number reminder messages being sent to some customers. I am one of those customers and have received 40+ messages from you in the last four/five days.

How though, is it possible that on becoming aware of this issue, you haven’t been able to rectify the issue in over four days? I received my first message(s) on Friday, and it is now Tuesday. It was actually your latest Magic Number message that has prompted me to write this letter!

I have called your customer services line twice. The first time was after my fifth message on Saturday morning. The lady I spoke to (after twenty minutes on hold) on that occasion told me the issue would be sorted in 24 hours and the messages would then stop. She also gave me a couple of ‘fixes’ - both of which I carried out to no avail – including sending a “SNOOZE 14” message to a three-digit number (which I attempted a good few times!)

The second time I called was after the promised 24 hours, when the messages still hadn’t stopped. The gentleman I spoke to this time advised me it would be another 24 to 48 hours before the Magic Number messages stopped. This too hasn’t proven to be the case. This time though, I was very kindly offered a change in mobile plan which would save me £5 per month as compensation. While at first this seems very kind, I already knew that I was paying too much and was due a periodic review of my plan – and so I was most likely owed this lower rate anyway (did I mention that, so far, I’ve been a very loyal Orange customer?)

But still the messages come through. All of which makes me wonder…

Isn’t this unsolicited contact (which I do not seem to have any means of stopping) contravening spamming or harassment law? Do I have to cancel my contract with EE to stop these messages from coming through? Do you have procedures in place to prevent this from happening again? Are you offering your loyal customers any real compensation for the annoyance of being bombarded with messages (other than the contract reviews they are already due)? As a mobile operator and broadband provider is it too much to ask that you have a contact email address – so your customers don’t have to resort to writing an old school letter to avoid sitting in a queue on the phone?

I look forward to your response and to hearing what you are doing to improve things for your customers.

Yours (for now),


SUNNI (Tel: 07XXX XXXXXX; Account no: XXXXXXXX)

PS I can’t even use any of the 10+ Magic Number ‘slots’ I have available - hardly any of my friends or family are on EE or Orange any more…I’m starting to understand why…

No comments:

Post a Comment